What are your favorite knitting books?

What are your favorite knitting books?

Hand or machine, current, vintage, printed or eBooks … what are your favorites?

Here are a few of our favorites

Check out the Knit it Now Bookstore

Watch a REPLAY of our LIVE Show with fellow knitters’ recommendations

Please comment below and share your favorites!

We’ll gather a list of your recommendations and share it with the community.

TitleDescriptionAvailable?Comments

13 Comments

1. Mary Weaver – Machine Knitting Technology & Patterns
    Kathleen Kinder – Machine Knitting, the Technique of Lace

2. I have hundreds of machine knitting books that I’ve collected over the past 40 years. My favorites that I keep close by, though, and refer to the most are: 1) The 100 in 1 Sweater books by Loretta Conley are my absolute favorite. I love the step by step details that make it easy for even a beginner to make perfect sweaters. I refer to her technique sections constantly and I have used the simple schematics in the book as a starting point for many sweaters. The designs and photos of the sweaters are very inspiring and always make me want to start my next sweater. If I could only keep one set of books, it would her 3-volume set. Another favorite is the “Baby Gift Catalog” by Glenda Overman. This is another book that is easy to follow, has great schematics and you know you will always get a perfect result. There are so many great baby clothes patterns that you can use as a starting point to designing your own. Of my Passap books, my go-to book is “Knitting with the Lights Out” by Billie Hall. That’s how I learned to use my Passap and I still refer to it whenever I’ve been away from my Passap for too long and need a refresher. My other favorites are the Metbury Design series. I have most of them, but my most treasured are Plain and Simple volumes 1-3 and the First Choice for E-6000. With these books I learned to really enjoy the E-6000 and all the wonderful techniques it’s capable of. The Metcalfe “Bitty Book” and “Baby Books” are also in constant use. A couple of years ago I bought Eileen Montgomery’s Workshop books from you and they are now an essential part of my collection. They have so many great tips and techniques that I refer to regularly. I love them.

• Florence, it’s nice to know that I”m not the only one with too many favorites to list! Thanks for sharing!

3. First would be the manuals for my machines and attachments that are going with me. Then my ancient Brothers 1,000 stitch pattern book, my binder with copies of my fav patterns from over 40 years of knitting, next would be the how to read and translate the Japanese schematic patterns, then my new hand knitting books: Estonian lace, Knitting Gansey, Orenberg lace, Unexpected Cables, and my Meg Swanson lace books. Of course the SD cards with all my downloaded books, how to videos and patterns would be in there too , probably in their wallet on a chain around my neck!!(the alpaca yarn would be going along too) The portability of digital books, patterns etc has a big advantage in the packing department! I’ve got tons of books but the ones I have hardly begun to use would have to go along!

4. I like “Hand Manipulated Stitches for Machine Knitters” by Susan Guagliumi. This book has really good charts and close ups of the stitches.

• Phillipa,
      Thanks for this suggestion and link.
      Necklines have been the radar … for too long! If anyone know the author and can put us in touch we can look into republishing any book that is out of print.

5. Anyway, one of my favorite books is A Machine Knitters’ Guide to Creating Fabrics by Susanna Lewis and Julia Weissman. It was published in 1986 in England although the authors lived in NYC. It is out of print.

• Hi Ellen! I love take a few quiet moments and just absorb the images in this book. So inspirational. If anyone is stuck and needs some inspiration, this one fills the bill!

6. “Fashion Knit Course Outline For Hand Knitting Machines” by Regine Faust is at the top of my list of favorites. It is great for knitters with punchcard machines and includes thorough explanations of how to design a repeat motif punchcards, continuous border design punchcards, tuck, and slip, punchcards. There is much more. I often watch a Knit It Now video, i.e. hung hems, and then check the book out. It works well to reinforce the techniques and design ideas shown in the Knit It Now videos.

7. Easy Eyelet Afghans is not a clear book.
    The pictures are in black and white. It seems like dictation in a binder. I understand twisted joins because there is a video.

Leave a Comment.