Fearless Cut ‘n Sew

fearless_cut_n_sewDo you remember the first time you cut into something you knit?  That moment of panic?

Watch as clothing designer Peggy Sagers of Silhouette patterns re-fashions a ready to wear sweater with cut ‘n sew.

Not only does she chop off the sleeves of this expensive sweater, she adds french darts as well.  The before and after photos are amazing!

You will be inspired.

You may also like...

One thought on “Fearless Cut ‘n Sew

1. Sharron Woodward

November 10, 2016 at 5:54am

This video has filled me with ideas. I can’t wait to give it a try. Thanks, Sharron

2. Florence Levy

November 10, 2016 at 6:46am

Truly inspirational. I have a couple of ill-fitting sweaters I can’t wait to cut into!

3. Mariah Brown

November 10, 2016 at 8:42am

This is a terrific video. However I would love to know how you did the patterns paper.

4. Author

Knit it Now

November 10, 2016 at 8:47am

Hi Mariah!
    Peggy is a sewing pattern designer. She used one of her basic patterns to re-fashion the ready-to-wear sweater. Not only is her line of sewing patterns terrific, she conducts and records sewing webinars that often discuss fit. Her common sense approach to fit can easily be applied to our knitting. Check it out at http://www.silhouettepatterns.com/

5. Linda in TX

November 14, 2016 at 7:37pm

WOW! I caught myself gritting my teeth, grimacing, and trying to keep my mouth shut, through this. AWESOME! I’ve never seen cut & sew, where you didn’t stitch around the cut. Is it because the knit has been commercially processed, that it didn’t just totally unravel…my personal C&S nightmare? Thanks for sharing. I’m going shopping for “fabric”.

6. Author

Knit it Now

November 17, 2016 at 8:37am

Ann, Thanks for sharing! So glad to have inspired you!

7. Connie

March 11, 2017 at 6:47pm

That was absolutely amazing!!! LOVE IT…..when I went on the website silhouette patterns…..where would I find the basic sweater pattern that Peggy used? I couldn’t find it on the website.
    Thank you so much for this tutorial very inspiring and exciting!!!
    Connie

8. Author

Knit it Now

March 14, 2017 at 7:30am

Peggy of Silhouette pattern is a sewing pattern designer (and an excellent teacher)
    the pattern she used is one of hers, most likely from her sweater set
    She uses this pattern as a base for most of her garments sewn with knits.

9. Hanne

January 16, 2018 at 7:41am

Peggy is a great sewing pattern designer. The sweater fits her perfectly and looks so professional I’ve tried this but my back piece is always 2-3 inches longer because of the darts. How does she get rid of this? I always have to make the sweater shorter in the back. It would be great if it was not necessary
    Hanne

10. Author

Knit it Now

January 16, 2018 at 8:07am

Isn’t Peggy great? Because of the darts, you will always have to shorten the back. Bottom line . . . your back side seam should be the FINISHED length of the front side seam (after the dart is sewn)

11. Hanne

January 17, 2018 at 3:52pm

Yes, that’s what I’ve done, but Peggy kept the beautiful bottom edges.
    And it looks so beautiful.

Your email will not be published. Name and Email fields are required