Ribber mis-behaving? It may be something simple

My trusty ribber recently was really difficult to push.  I wasn’t doing anything fancy and immediately checked the following:

• Was the tension too tight on ribber or main bed?
  • I’d used this yarn many times, so I knew it wasn’t the yarn
  • Was the yarn hanging up?

None of these provided an answer.

Clue #1

I then realized that this was the first time I’d used my ribber since I removed it for another project.

Clue #2

I took the knitting off the machine and tried to re-engage the ribber connector on the left side of the bed.  I normally connect things and start knitting on the right.  I had to “jiggle” the connecting arm to get it to connect.  No problem on the right side … just the left.

Clue #3

[wp-svg-icons icon=”point-up” wrap=”i”]       I remembered having a bit of trouble setting up the ribber.  But, as usual I was in a hurry ….

Clue #4  Ah ha!

Take a close look at the Setting Plates (what’s a Setting Plate? [wp-svg-icons icon=”pushpin” wrap=”i”]).

This one has a gap
setting_plate_left
This setting plate is flush against the needlebed
setting_plate_right

Solution

I used my spanner, loosened the screw and slipped the Setting Plate into place (tight against the needlebed) … Voila mystery solved!

adjust_ribber

You may also like...

One thought on “Ribber mis-behaving? It may be something simple

1. MJ Coleman

August 16, 2016 at 12:28pm

Is there a way to make the photo larger? I have just set up my first bulky brother and want to make sure I can see what is not spaced correctly. I am having trouble seeing these photos up close.

2. MJ Coleman

August 16, 2016 at 12:28pm

Can someone give me a good site to purchase sponge bars…..
    Thanks
    MJ

3. Author
  4. Author
  5. Morag Walker

August 17, 2016 at 3:29pm

Thank you for letting us see this properly. Really appreciated. Now it works! YES!!!

6. Saileth

September 11, 2016 at 7:32pm

So… this is why I’ve never been able to make it work! However, I lost my setting plates screws (or maybe I never had them since I got a used machine). Could anyone tell me what the screw specifications are? I only need the screws, not the whole setting plate set. Thank you!

7. John Bozzola

January 21, 2020 at 3:36pm

Having a problem with my Studio 155 Ribber:

In half-pitch, my Studio SR-155 ribber needles rub on the gate pegs of the main bed.

The main bed needles are 3 mm away from the ribber gate pegs, however.

The needles of both beds are perfectly aligned to each other.

How does one increase the gap between the ribber needles and gate pegs on the main bed?

Thanks for any suggestions. Belated Happy New Year.

8. Author

Knit it Now

January 21, 2020 at 4:32pm

The book “Make your Knitting Machine Sing” by Scott Renno and James Dixon is a great resource for adjusting Brother and KnitKing machines.
    I’m guessing the adjustments are translatable to Silver/Singer/Studio machines.

You can purchase it directly from Michael Becker at Distinctive Knits dknits.com

Your email will not be published. Name and Email fields are required